These black bean burgers are 100% vegan and filling! My favorite go-to dinner for when I'm looking for something hearty, yet not full of guilt. Most black bean burgers are not vegan, and if they are...mostly likely they are full of unnecessary preservatives and sodium. These are great for meal prep as well. So easy to pop left over burgers in the fridge or freezer! This recipe makes about 4 large size patties, but can easily be doubled if needed!
To start off, I take one can of organic black beans and put them in a rice strainer to rinse them VERY well. Then I pop them in a medium sized bowl and mash them. Take the extra time and make sure they are mashed well, because the burger will hold together better.
From there, I add any veggies I want (I used onion, yellow squash, and peppers), then I use a vegan egg replacement to hold it all together. I used "Neat Egg", which is just ground chickpeas and chia seeds. I take two servings (two "eggs") of the egg replacement and mix it with the amount of water listed on the package. There are many egg replacements available for vegans! So just find what is easiest for you and use that. But I find that "Neat Egg" is great!
I added a splash of almond milk and the spices and kept mixing until I felt like it could hold together easily! It looks hella gross, but if it looks like this...then it's right!
I formed them into patties and cupped my hands around the edges to prevent them from falling apart...topped it with some garlic powder and paired it with some seasoned golden potato fries because yumm
I put the burger over a bed of lettuce and BOOM! That easy! Dress it up with some avocado and you've got yourself a delish burger and fries!
Here's my recipe......
1 can of black beans
2 "eggs" (any vegan egg replacement)
1/4 medium yellow squash
1/4 medium red onion
1/4 red bell pepper
1/4 green bell pepper
splash of almond milk (or any other dairy free milk)
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp seasoned salt
1 tbsp black pepper
1) Rinse and drain the can of black beans very well
2) Place in a medium sized bowl, and mash black beans completely (using a fork should do the job)
3) Chop up your veggies (you can use whatever veggies you want) into fairly small pieces. Chopping them up too big will make it harder for your burger to stick together. Throw them into the bowl with your mashed up beans.
4) Add 2 "eggs". I used "Neat Egg", which is a mixture of ground chia seeds and garbanzo beans. You could even use a "flax egg" buy combining 1 tbsp of flax seeds with tbsp of water and letting it sit for 10 minutes. There are MANY vegan egg substitutes that you can search for online!
5) Add your seasonings and combine VERY well until you feel as though it could stick together in a patty!
6) Begin grabbing the mixture and forming it into patties in your hands. This recipe makes about 4 or 5 patties, depending on how big you make them. Sealing off the round edges of your patties with your hands will prevent them from falling apart while cooking.
7) You can pan fry these in a little bit of olive oil on medium heat for 15 minutes or until they are golden brown on each side....or you can bake them on 350 degrees for about 30 minutes (flipping them half way through VERY carefully). You can brush them with some olive oil or use parchment paper.
There you guys have it! Be sure to let me know if you try out this recipe and click the little heart at the bottom of the page to let me know if you "liked" this post! Luv y'all <3